Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Early Education

Yesterday, after I rocked Dylan and stood to put him in his crib for his nap, he pointed over my shoulder at a picture of V.

"Momma," he said.

"That's right. That's V., your birth mommy."

"Belly," he said, drowsily.

Clearly, he has been absorbing the little story I tell him from time to time about how he grew and grew in V.'s belly, and when he was ready, he popped out. And about how Mommy and Daddy were there and we were so happy to see him. Mommy, and Daddy and V. all hugged and hugged and kissed him, we loved him so much.

So, I guess I'll need to work on how I tell him his birth and adoption story a bit more. We want to make sure it is easy, and age apprepropriate, and accurate, which feels like a tall order right now.

I find it so helpful to learn the specifics of how other parents talk with their kids of diffferent ages about their adoptions. If you have any resources or ideas, please share them!

One of my goals for this quickly fleeting summer was to create a Life Book that includes simple text and more photos of his birth relatives and of our time together around Dylan's arrival. I think it would be a helpful, and that he might come to treasure it. I haven't gotten around to it yet, but after Dylan made his interest apparent yesterday, I'm really motivated!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Life Book...check off another item on the list of things I've said I was going to do, started planning, and put on the back burner. It's a wonder I'm even a parent at the rate I start and unfinish projects! Not abandon or give up, unfinish...which means there are mutliple just started-multi stage-lingering projects in any given closet of our house! So glad you haven't gotten around to it too!

Rebecca Hawkes said...

"And about how Mommy and Daddy were there and we were so happy to see him. Mommy, and Daddy and V. all hugged and hugged and kissed him, we loved him so much." I love this little piece of your story - great example of how things have improved since the days of my birth. My birth mother wasn't allowed to hold me, which wasn't good for her or for me. I appreciate the care with which you are holding your son's story.